Operations & Compliance Team Lead
Thunder Bay, ON(Sioux Lookout, Kenora, Dryden or Red Lake)
Do you want to be part of a team providing safe and reliable drinking water to thousands of Ontarians each day?
Become a water and wastewater professional today!
In this role, you will use your skills to support growth and development in First Nations Communities in the water/wastewater industry across Northwestern Ontario. Mentoring operators who run day to day operation of their facilities; you will be responsible for assessing facility needs, providing guidance on provincial regulatory requirements and industry standards, overseeing commissioning of new facilities and training operators, assisting in the development of standard operating procedures, facility emergency plans, maintenance plans, routine round checklists. In support of local First Nation initiatives, this position requires someone capable of working in a fast paced environment with a drive for operational excellence.
This position can be based in any one of the following locations; Thunder Bay, Dryden, Kenora, Sioux Lookout or Red Lake.
What’s in it for you?
- Flexible learning and development opportunities.
- Opportunities for career advancement and specialization with the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Ontario.
- Work with the partner of choice for more communities than any other water and wastewater service organization in Ontario for over 20 years.
- Work with an organization committed to innovation and advanced technology.
- A defined benefit pension plan.
- Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits including for adoptive parents.
- Comprehensive Health Plan.
- Life and Disability Insurance.
Who we are
The Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) believes in Our Communities, Our Environment and Our People. As a
trusted partner to municipalities, First Nations communities, businesses, governments and institutions across
Ontario, we provide our clients with total solutions in water and wastewater. We are dedicated to working closely
with our clients to help them build healthy sustainable communities and organizations.
What we are looking for
- Class 2 certification in Water Treatment, Class 1 Wastewater Treatment
- May consider lesser qualified candidates as underfill - minimum OIT as specified in O.Reg. 128/04 of the Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Must be available to be on-call after regular working hours.
- Extensive travel within the area.
- Sound technical knowledge of the theories, principles and practices related to the operations, maintenance and administration of water treatment and distribution systems.
- Technical knowledge and practical experience in water treatment, pumping stations, pumps and related equipment, maintenance and repairs.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of environmental health and safety legislation, regulations, procedures and guidelines including the Safe Drinking Water Act, Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Regulations 180/03, 128/03 and 169/03, Occupational Health and Safety Act, National Fire Prevention Association Standards 291, Traffic Management Section 7 of the Highway Traffic Act as well as other statues to monitor program delivery and ensure compliance.
- Position requires an understanding of SCADA system and alarms monitoring, knowledge and understanding of
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), Emergency Management System (EMS) and requirements of Water Quality Sampling.
- Working knowledge of the water and wastewater industry.
- Experience/knowledge of a skilled trade; coordination and control of operating resources.
Skills and abilitied include
- Good Problem solving, planning, project management, financial, analytical and research skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in dealing with staff, clients, senior management and other levels of government.
- Sound computer skills, leadership and supervisory skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff to ensure that all operational and maintenance requirements are addressed and support the Senior Operations Manager in negotiating changes or adjustments as process requirements change.
- Ability to review and revise facility maintenance procedures, identify key critical equipment at each facility, ensure traffic protection planning is followed, complete chamber inspection reports, ensure that hydrant maintenance program is complete, coordinate shut-downs and other distribution process deviations, conduct meter readings, perform maintenance duties as required.
- Ability to provide training to facility operations and maintenance staff.
How to Apply
1. You must apply by e-mail.
2. You must show how you meet what we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely; we rely on the
information you provide to us.
3. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
Send application/resume with covering letter to:
Ontario Clean Water Agency
Attention: Tony Cholin
Ontario Clean Water Agency is an equal opportunity employer. We will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The Ontario Clean Water Agency is an agency of the Province of Ontario, reporting to the Ministry of the Environment. As the largest provider of water and
wastewater services in Canada, we manage over 800 facilities from small well systems and lagoons to large water and wastewater treatment plants. Consider this
opportunity if you are a motivated, team oriented individual seeking a career in the water and wastewater industry.
Note: Thank you for your interest, we will contact you only if we choose you for further screening or an interview.