Regional Wastewater System Manager
1300 Lakeshore Road E, Mississauga
The Ontario Clean Water Agency is an agency of the Province of Ontario, reporting to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change. As the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Canada, we manage over 800 facilities from small well systems and lagoons to large water and wastewater treatment plants.
Join the management team at the Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) in an exciting opportunity to lead and inspire a dynamic team in the provision of safe, client oriented, and profitable water and wastewater services in the province of Ontario.
What’s in it for you?
- Flexible learning and development opportunities.
- Opportunities for career advancement and specialization with the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Ontario.
- Work with the partner of choice for more communities than any other water and wastewater service organization in Ontario for over 20 years.
- Work with an organization committed to innovation and advanced technology.
- A defined benefit pension plan.
- Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits including for adoptive parents.
- Comprehensive Health Plan.
- Life and Disability Insurance.
Who we are
The Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) believes in Our Communities, Our Environment and Our People. As a trusted partner to municipalities, First Nations communities, businesses, governments and institutions across Ontario, we provide our clients with total solutions in water and wastewater. We are dedicated to working closely with our clients to help them build healthy sustainable communities and organizations.
What we are looking for
You will lead a diverse team of Management and Unionized staff responsible for delivery of regulatory and contractual obligations for two Large Wastewater Treatment Facilities in the Region of Peel, including operations and maintenance. You will participate in client business meetings; develop new business opportunities; liaise with the client, regulators and members of the public. You will be responsible for leading staff training and commissioning activities for Client Capital Projects as they come online, and to ensure accurate document retention.
In this role, you will:
- Plan, lead and manage the delivery of wastewater treatment and collection services, and technical services for wastewater industry clients of the Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) in a defined geographic area in order to support, enable and ensure effective operational effectiveness, efficiencies, safety, and optimum asset management.
- Lead/provide strategic/technical expertise, advice and policy recommendations to regional/OCWA management and regional clients/partners on preventative maintenance strategies and technical solutions to support client operations and OCWA business development objectives.
- Serve as the primary contact with the clients to discuss and resolve complex and critical problems pertaining to operations and ensure client satisfaction by staying abreast of client needs and issues.
- Provide expert operational input and oversee the management and administration of the provision of competitive and safe wastewater treatment.
- Supervise all aspects and impacts of capital expansion programs on the operations of wastewater treatment facilities.
- Provide expert operational input to the engineering, pre-design and design plans for major plant expansion.
- Ensure operating compliance with existing legislation and management systems.
- Negotiate with the client in regards to all aspects of contracts.
- Class 4 certification in Wastewater Treatment, and Class 2 Wastewater Collection.
- May consider lesser qualified candidates as under fill - minimum Level OIT Wastewater Treatment, Water and Wastewater Collection as specified in (Reg. 129/04).
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Technical knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices related to water and wastewater collection, treatment, and distribution systems, operations and processes to lead/manage regional maintenance and electrical programs and technical services related to process control and legislation/standards compliance and ensure optimum operation of regional facilities.
- Technical knowledge of water and wastewater treatment maintenance best practices and standards, and industrial, electrical and electronic instrumentation and control theory, principles and practices and assessment techniques for the selection, repair, troubleshooting and maintenance of a wide variety of complex control, monitoring and telemetry communication systems to plan and lead maintenance and electrical system construction, monitoring, and repair operations.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, polices, standards and procedures to manage the development and delivery of regional maintenance and electrical systems, processes and services.
- Operational management skills to lead the day-to-day coordination and control of maintenance and electrical process services to large complex facilities, plants and systems.
- Knowledge of maintenance inspection principles and methods to lead the conducting of equipment/system reviews, regulatory inspections, and compliance and health/safety audits.
- Conceptual, research, analytical, problem solving and risk management skills to lead the identification and analysis of preventative maintenance issues/gaps and the research/assessment of process optimization opportunities and system/service options/strategies to meet needs.
- Knowledge of the theories, practices and technical details of processes/techniques in the continuous operation of multi-site, technically complex wastewater treatment facilities on a 24/7 basis.
- Ability to obtain certification to the highest level of the facilities.
- Position requires an understanding of SCADA system and alarms monitoring, knowledge and understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and applicable financial programs for budgeting and presentations.
- Good working knowledge of federal, provincial environmental and health and safety legislation, regulations, codes, standards and amendments to comply with mandatory requirements for environmental and human health, safety and security.
- Ability to conduct research and gather relevant information to develop wastewater treatment service options for meeting future requirements resulting from economic growth.
Skills and abilities include
Communication, Political Acuity and Relationship Management Skills
- Knowledge of client business goals and directions, economic/market environmental changes that impact on client’s long-term business plans.
- Knowledge of business management practices to operate efficiently in order to realize profit while maintaining a high level of service.
- Excellent communication, innovation and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, conceptual, consultation and problem solving skills.
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative research, planning and evaluating skills.
- Proficiency in strategically identifying research and development needs for the Agency.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize well and meet strict deadlines.
Other Essential Skills
- Knowledge of financial resources management to develop and manage department budget.
- Knowledge of procurement policies and procedures to oversee all stages of acquisition of goods and services and prepare RFQs and RFPs.
- Knowledge of human resources management practices, policies and guidelines.
- Experience managing union and non-unionized employees.
How to Apply
1. You must apply by e-mail.
2. You must show how you meet what we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely; we rely on the information you provide to us.
3. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
4. Send application/resume with cover letter (PDF format preferred)
Send application/resume with cover letter (PDF format preferred) to:
Ontario Clean Water Agency
Attention: Human Resources
Ontario Clean Water Agency is an equal opportunity employer. We will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The Ontario Clean Water Agency is an agency of the Province of Ontario, reporting to the Ministry of the Environment. As the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Canada, we manage over 800 facilities from small well systems and lagoons to large water and wastewater treatment plants. Consider this opportunity if you are a motivated, team oriented individual seeking a career in the water and wastewater industry.
Note: Thank you for your interest, we will contact you only if we choose you for further screening or an interview