Senior Labour Relations Consultant
1 Yonge Street STE 1700, Toronto, ON
The Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) is an agency of the Province of Ontario, reporting to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change. As the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Canada, we manage over 800 facilities from small well systems and lagoons to large water and wastewater treatment plants.
Join the HR team at the Ontario Clean Water Agency in an exciting opportunity to co-ordinate the planning and delivery of a full range of Employee & Labour Relations functions for OCWA on a province-wide basis.
What’s in it for you?
- Flexible learning and development opportunities.
- Opportunities for career advancement and specialization with the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Ontario.
- Work with the partner of choice for more communities than any other water and wastewater service organization in Ontario for over 20 years.
- Work with an organization committed to innovation and advanced technology.
- A defined benefit pension plan.
- Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits including for adoptive parents.
- Comprehensive Health Plan.
- Life and Disability Insurance.
Who we are
The Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA) believes in Our Communities, Our Environment and Our People. As a trusted partner to municipalities, First Nations communities, businesses, governments and institutions across Ontario, we provide our clients with total solutions in water and wastewater. We are dedicated to working closely with our clients to help them build healthy sustainable communities and organizations.
What we are looking for
Are you an experienced labour relations professional? Do you enjoy a challenging, engaging and high paced work environment? If so, this may be the role for you.
As the Senior Labour Relations Consultant, you will:
- Provide managers and human resources staff with specialized labour relations advice on a broad range of complex employee/labour relations issues, (e.g. performance management, attendance management, discipline, grievances, collective agreement interpretation and application)
- Lead and coordinate Agency grievances beyond Stage 2 and represent clients at mediation and arbitration
- Identify and analyze general labour relations issues and trends and recommend solutions
- Advance positive Labour Relations by building effective working relationships with Bargaining Agent partners
- Assist with Disability management, Employee Accommodation and Return to Work programs
- Mentor and coach HR Consultants on providing sound and risk based advice, developing recommendations, implementing solutions and ensuring quality in service delivery
- Develop and deliver effective labour relations training to managers
How do I qualify?
- Demonstrated knowledge of labour relations principles, best practices, theories, trends, and related legislation and arbitral jurisprudence in both public and private sectors
- Extensive experience with labour relations in a major unionized public or private sector organization, complemented by a strong generalist background, including experience in arbitrations and mediations.
- Proficiency in interpreting, applying and administering collective agreements.
- Proven experience with counseling managers in employee & labour relations techniques, best practices and the resolution of workplace issues.
Research, Analytical and Strategic Skills:
- Strong conceptual and detailed research, analytical and problem solving skills to investigate and assess human resources issues, and to interpret and apply legislation, collective agreements, policies, procedures, and jurisprudence
- Demonstrated ability to apply a broad perspective requiring an integrated knowledge of human resource management, related disciplines and business processes
Negotiation, Collaboration and Interpersonal Skills:
- An innate ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with staff at all levels, including HR Services Delivery partners, union representatives and legal counsel
- Demonstrated ability to exercise political acuity to recognize and take into account sensitive situations and develop appropriate responses for senior management
- Strong dispute resolution skills, including negotiation and mediation
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and human relations skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
How to Apply
Send application/resume with cover letter to:
Ontario Clean Water Agency
Attention: Marivel Mendiola
Ontario Clean Water Agency is an equal opportunity employer. We will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The Ontario Clean Water Agency is an agency of the Province of Ontario, reporting to the Ministry of the Environment. As the largest provider of water and wastewater services in Canada, we manage over 800 facilities from small well systems and lagoons to large water and wastewater treatment plants. Consider this opportunity if you are a motivated, team oriented individual seeking a career in the water and wastewater industry.
Note: Thank you for your interest, we will contact you only if we choose you for further screening or an interview.